Friday, January 29, 2010

Culture Jam

Starting this book, I can see where the author has a point but technological advances are the way our society has grown up. We've always had these things so we are used to them. By grouping all of our society together and saying that it is destroying our appreciation for nature is a bit of overkill. Not everyone in our society is like the examples the author uses. Personally, I think its up to the individual in how much they use the technologies available today. The technology and the way are society is today is too big of a task to be able to change it. Too much of our economy is involved and a lot of organizations that would never let it happen. Also,a passage that caught my attention though was the one showing the millions of people that have disorders in our country. Are other countries like this or is this just in our society? It just came as a shocker that a great percentage of our country is that messed up.

4 comments:

  1. I think you make a good point in saying we shouldn't assume that everyone lives their lives the way Lasn describes them in his book. However, I would challenge your idea that it is "too late" for us to turn back. I'm not sure it is. I think most of us are quite comfortable with the status quo, enough so that we have no desire to change, but what if change were inevitable? What if technology failed? Would we all fail to survive as well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was shocked at the number of disorders in the United States as well. Although we may see depression and anxiety as less severe disorders, the author groups them with others like bi-polar, which really gives you a shock. I agree that we can not live without technology and so many would never give it up because we grew up with it and have never known a life without it. Do you think that if we would have been told not to use computers or cell phones until recently we could be ok with the separation?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the fact that we've grown up with technology and are used to it. But our grandparents look at some of it like it's a waste, but grew up without high technology. But I also know of older people who appreciate a cell phone and a computer. I think some people abuse the use of technology but some just use the basics of it. It was a shocker to me as well about the number of disorders in our country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your statements about technology and our society. However, I worry about the future. Look how many advancements have been made since the time we were born alone. I don't see the technology we have now as being a problem, but at what point will it stop? We have to consider what is going to happen to society before it gets out of control. Your question about other countries and their disorders was really interesting. I think every society has its problems, but it seems like ours is more messed up than others. Is technology really to blame for this though?

    ReplyDelete